Toyota thailand Factory Fire fails to slow activity

Toyota’s Chachoengsao factory continues to operate normally despite a fire late on Sunday that caused an estimated 50 million baht in damage, the Thai unit of the Japanese car maker said.

Suparat Sirisuwanangkura, a senior vice-president of Toyota Motor Asia Pacific Engineering and Manufacturing Co Ltd , said the fire will have no effect on production at the plant in Ban Pho district.

The fire broke out in a company warehouse one kilometre from the factory about 7pm on Sunday, he said.

Part of the building collapsed, and firefighters took three hours to bring it under control. Flames flared up again about 1am yesterday, and firefighters battled for another two hours to put them out.

Besides the building itself, damage was incurred to spare parts pallets, engine oil and forklifts. There were no injuries. Chachoengsao police inspected the fire sceneĀ  but have not yet determined the cause.

Wichien Emprasertsuk, an executive vice-president of Toyota Motor Thailand Co, said “the fire also will not affect parts distribution to Toyota dealers.”

Pairoj Hirunruangrong, another senior vice-president of TMAP-EM, said

“the warehouse is 1,000 square metres in size and used for storing engine oil destined for Toyota dealers. ”

“Only 30,000 litres or one day’s supply for delivery is ever kept on hand”, he said.

Mr Pairoj saidĀ  “the company uses only water for to extinguish fires, not chemicals of any kind.”

“Treated wastewater is kept on hand for just such an emergency, and local communities will not suffer any environmental harm”, he said.

“However, Toyota will cooperate with relevant provincial agencies to investigate any possible effects of the fire on local communities and will take responsibility if any are found,” said Mr Pairoj.

He said Toyota staff have been sent out to inform nearby residents of the situation and will listen to any complaints.

Chachoengsao Deputy Governor Bundit Thereethivarak said environmental authorities had collected samples from water sources near the affected warehouse to check for any contamination. Another team of health officials was sent to assess nearby communities for any impact from toxic fumes. Mr Bundit said initial surveys found residents were not affected.